CEA 2023: San Antonio
52nd Annual Conference|March 30-April 1, 2023
Sheraton Gunter Hotel
c o n f l u e n ce
The 52nd annual College English Association conference will be held in San Antonio, a city that itself is a kind of confluence: it has been the home of multiple cultures; it has seen the rise and fall of famous missions and military presidios; and it honors in its daily life today its Hispanic heritage and cowboy culture alike. It is no wonder, then, that it is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Given all its diverse and rich culture, San Antonio’s authors have taken due notice. The newest Poet Laureate of the city, Andrea “Vocab” Sanderson, voices in her #MyTongueIsChallenge, “My tongue, much like your tongue, has the power to bless or curse this land….”
In the diverse spirit of the Lone Star State, CEA 2023 will feature panels from academics in all areas of literature, language, film, composition, pedagogy, and creative, professional, and technical writing. CEA also will feature panels on any of the areas English departments typically encompass, including literature criticism and scholarship, creative writing, rhetoric and composition.We also will hear about llareas that influence our work as academics, including student demographics, student/instructor accountability and assessment, student advising, academic leadership in departments and programs, and the place of the English department in the university.
Additionally, the CEA Conference in San Antonio will introduce a new feature, “Roundtable Sessions.” These sessions are designed to encourage lively discussions of the conference’s theme. Each table will feature presenters who deliver short essays. These 500-word papers, rather than fully realized arguments, are meant to be kernels of ideas. With ample time for response from colleagues, the roundtable is thus a chance for presenters to try out with a live audience a notion, to discover other resources, or to begin imagining the next steps towards developing ideas into longer, more typical conference papers or even articles.
If you submitted, your proposal can be found on our conference management database housed here: https://www.conftool.pro/cea2023.
Important Information for Presenters
- CEA equips each conference room with a data projector, screen, adapter for your laptop, and limited Internet access. CEA does not provide computers/laptops.
- If you have attended CEA before and are willing to serve as a session moderator for a panel other than your own, please contact program chair Stacy Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To preserve time for discussion, CEA limits all presentations to 15 minutes.
- No person may make more than one presentation at the conference.
- Presentations must be made in person at the conference venue. Neither proxy nor “virtual” (Skyping, etc.) presentations are permitted.
- Papers must be presented in English by scholars beyond the undergraduate level.
- Any form of special accommodation must have been requested at the time of proposal submission.
- CEA is unable to sponsor or fund travel or underwrite participant costs.
A Special Invitation to Graduate Students
Graduate students are encouraged to attend and submit their conference presentation for the CEA Outstanding Graduate Student Paper Award, which carries a prize of $250. Submissions will be solicited via email in January 2023.
Hotel venue and reserving accommodations
The 2023 conference will be held at the Sheraton Gunter Hotel, 205 East Houston Street, San Antonio, TX 78205. To receive the special CEA rate starting at $189.00, lodging must be booked through CEA’s dedicated link:
Book your group rate for College English Association 2023 Conference
To see the historic conference venue, visit https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/satgs-sheraton-gunter-hotel-san-antonio/overview.
Conference registration rates
On-time Registration (Jan. 15-Feb. 28) / Late Registration (March 1 and after)
Regular $120.00 / $170.00
Retired $110.00 / $160.00
Emergent Scholar $85.00 / $135.00
Contingent/Adjunct $85.00 / $135.00
Join the College English Association
All presenters must join CEA to appear on the program. To join or to find out more information about the organization and conference, please see the CEA website at www.cea-web.org.
Connect with CEA
- via email: email@example.com
- via Facebook: www.facebook.com/
- via Twitter: twitter.com/CEAtweet
Please contact Stacy Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org (and put “Program Chair” in the Subject line).